Glacier Kings Split Weekend Games

The Comox Valley Glacier Kings finished the weekend splitting a pair of games, both were exciting and were decided by just a goal. On Friday, they beat the Lake Cowichan Kraken 4-3 in a shootout. Then on Saturday they dropped a 3-2 decision to the Saanich Predators in Courtenay

The Predators jumped out to an early 1-0 lead with a goal from Avery Hargitt. That would stand until late in the opening frame when Comox Valley went to the power play. Caileb Berge won the faceoff back to Jeremy Dewar at the right point, skated to the hashmarks, centered it for Berge who had circled around for a backdoor shot. Goaltender Andrew Brabender did a terrific job to get over to make the save but Matthew Teasdale backhanded the rebound into the open net. Saanich would make it 2-1 early in the second when David Edgar potted his first of the season. Later on the middle stanza, Liam Schreiber passed the puck from inside his own blue line to Matt Teasdale near center. Matt’s one-time pass went off a skate right to Jeremy Dewar. He gave it right back to Teasdale who skated over the opposing blue line and fed the streaking Schreiber in the slot. Liam fought off his check and one-timed it glove-side on Brabender. The game would remain tied until midway through the third period when Avery Hargitt would score his second of the game which would also turn out to be the game winner.

There was some controversy that came with 32 seconds left in the third period with Comox on a power play. Matt Teasdale’s stick was being held and he couldn’t free it so in his frustration he took a 10-minute misconduct. He left the ice surface and went to the dressing room because he wasn’t eligible to come back with so little time remaining. As you know, a 10-minute misconduct does not put your team in a short-handed situation. However, the Glacier Kings were only allowed to put 5 players on the ice despite their net being empty. The mix-up caused it to be a 5 on 4 instead of a 6 on 4 like it should have been. The Glacier Kings did not score and it ended up a 3-2 final. I was so confused in the press box and was saying Matt must have gotten a 2-minute minor as well as the misconduct because they only had 5 players on the ice but it didn’t make sense because it was still an offensive zone face off and there was no time put up on the penalty clock.

It was a very even game with each team having terrific scoring chances but both Brabender and Ryder Lally came up big in the nets. The shots on goal would end up being 31-24 for Saanich because of a decisive 13-4 total in the third period.

The loss drops Comox Valley’s record to 1-2 while the Predators improve to 4-1. The Glacier Kings next game is on Friday when they travel to Oceanside. Saanich is in Victoria on Thursday.

Daryyl Skender

Originally posted on